Wednesday 17 July 2013

Vegan Shepherd's Pie

 As soon as I saw the clouds this afternoon i knew this was going to be our dinner for tonight. 
For some reason every time it gets cold I crave this meal. It's easy, relatively quick (depending on how many distractions you have at the time), and totally hits the spot!
There is something completely retro about this meal, it is something my mum or dad would have cooked for us when we were really little, and it always reminds me of the 80's and 90's.. It might just be me, but I love that it makes me think of that time.

(Sorry about the poor quality of the photographs, I am not a photographer, and only have a point-and-shoot at the moment, and not much time for editing. I am hoping to improve with practice, so please be patient with me!)

 I like to cut my vegetables fairly rough, because I like to be able to see all of them when I cut into my pie, but you can do it how you like... That's the best thing about this recipe, it can be adapted to suit your own personal tastes. 

 

Ingredients List

  • 4 Potatoes - washed, peeled and chopped
  • 1 small Sweet Potato (prep as above)
  • 1 Onion
  • 2 cloves Garlic
  • 1 Cup Vegetable stock
  • 1 Carrot - Peeled then diced or grated (as you prefer)
  • 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 Can Kidney Beans
  • 1 Can/Container texturized vegetable protein (I use Sanitarium brand)
  • 5 Mushrooms - sliced
  • Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
  • Frozen Peas and Corn
  • Cumin & Paprika
  • Savoury Yeast flakes
  • Garlic Salt

Method

  1. Boil water in a medium pot and place in potatoes and sweet potatoes until soft enough to mash.
  2. Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot and add chopped onions and garlic. 
  3. Once the onion is clear add in the spices. 
  4. Add the tvp and stir to mix through the garlic and onion. Leave to cook through for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  5. Add the rinsed kidney beans and tinned tomatoes, then let the sauce simmer on medium until most of the liquid has evaporated. 
  6. Add the chopped vegetables and frozen vegetables, then the vegetable stock, and leave on a low heat until the vegetables are cooked. 
  7. After the vegetables are cooked, add the worcestershire sauce and taste to make sure no added seasonings are needed at this point. If so, add more paprika and cumin to taste. 
  8. Drain and mash the potatoes while the sauce simmers, adding the vegan butter and soy milk until it is just fluffy enough. 
  9. Ladle the mixture into bowls, spoon the mashed potato on top and sprinkle with the savoury yeast flakes and garlic salt.
  10. Place the bowls in the oven, and cook on high for 5 minutes, or until the potato is golden and crispy on top.
Enjoy!

Erin xo





Dont forget to check out my Instagram for more photos of my food..

No comments:

Post a Comment